If you were injured in a car accident, you should call a personal injury lawyer to see if you may be entitled to compensation. However, the process of finding a lawyer can be overwhelming. You may not know the kind of questions you should ask or what kind of information you should get from your consultation. We’re here to help, with some questions you should ask your car accident lawyer.
Please don’t hesitate to contact Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers in Ontario by calling 905-522-9799 for your free consultation.
Questions About Background and Experience
There are many types of personal injury lawyers, each with a different specialty. You should make sure your lawyer has experience handling cases similar to yours, especially if your case involves catastrophic injury such as traumatic brain injury or spinal cord injury. Experience in something like slip and fall cases doesn’t necessarily translate to experience with car accidents, so don’t be afraid to ask how many car accident cases your lawyer handles per year.
Other questions you can ask include:
- How many years of experience do you have practicing law?
- How many years of experience do you have with personal injury, car accidents specifically?
- What kind of verdicts and settlements have you gotten for other clients in similar situations?
- How often do you go to trial?
Questions About Your Case
Your initial consultation is where you should ask questions relevant to your case, to get an idea of what kind of compensation you can expect, whether you have a strong case, how likely it is that you’ll need to go to trial, and more. During your consultation, you should ask:
- How much do you think my case is realistically worth?
- Is there anything about my case that may work against me when trying to get compensation?
- Will you go to trial if needed, or do you prefer to settle?
- How long do you think my case will take?
Your lawyer will also ask you questions about your case, and it’s important to be honest in your answers so that we will have a better idea of how strong your case is and how much compensation we can try to get for you.
Questions About Legal Fees
When your medical bills are piling up after an auto accident, the last thing you want to do is accumulate legal bills on top of them. Make sure you ask if your lawyer works on contingency or if they have an hourly rate. Many personal injury lawyers, including Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers, work on contingency. This means that you don’t pay anything until we’ve recovered compensation for you.
You can also ask:
- Do I have to pay for expenses incurred during my case?
- Will I owe you anything if my case doesn’t result in any compensation?
- How much money can I expect to take home after fees and expenses, based on your estimation of how much my case is worth?
Schedule Your Car Accident Consultation Today
Contact Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers today at 905-522-9799 for your complimentary initial consultation. We serve clients in Hamilton, Burlington, Stoney Creek, Brantford, and other nearby areas of Ontario.