I was injured in a car accident that wasn’t my fault. Do I have to sue the other driver to cover my medical expenses?


When injured in a motor vehicle accident you do not have to sue the other driver, the Statutory Accident Benefit Schedule (SABS) has a set guideline for covering health care expenses.

OHIP will usually cover the cost of nursing, diagnostic testing such as x-rays, ultrasounds, CT Scans, MRI’s etc. At times, such tests may be ordered as a “third party” test to expedite the process but the cost of doing this may come from your predetermined maximums set by your auto insurance company.

If you have a separate extended health plan through your employer, spouse’s employer, a parent or privately, it becomes you’re your primary source of coverage for Physiotherapy, Massage therapy, Chiropractic care and all other services covered by that plan.

Your automobile insurance will cover expenses to their maximum approved once your extended benefits have been exhausted. If you personally don’t have automobile insurance the auto insurance company on your file will begin covering the expenses (for example, you were a passenger in a vehicle involved in an accident or a pedestrian).

In the event you are awarded money after a lawsuit, this settlement would include future healthcare costs.